People Who Kick Buts: Dave Barry
Meetings are an addictive, highly self-indulgent activity that corporations and other organizations habitually engage in only because they cannot actually masturbate.
- Born on July 3, 1947
- A Pulitzer Prize-winning American author and columnist, who wrote a nationally syndicated humor column for The Miami Herald from 1983 to 2005.
- Barry was born in Armonk, New York, where his father—also named David Barry—was a Presbyterian minister. He was educated at Wampus Elementary School and Harold C. Crittenden Junior High School (both in Armonk), and Pleasantville High School where he was elected “Class Clown” in 1965. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Haverford College in 1969. In his book, Dave Barry’s Greatest Hits, he stated that during college he was in a band called “The Federal Duck”.
- Barry married his first wife, Beth Lenox, in 1976 and they had one child, Robert, in 1980. Barry and Beth worked together at the Daily Local News in West Chester, PA, where they began their journalism careers on the same day in September, 1971. Barry and Lenox divorced in 1993. In 1996, Barry married Miami Herald sportswriter Michelle Kaufman; they had a daughter, Sophie, in 2000. He has had dogs named Earnest, Zippy, and now Lucy. All are mentioned regularly in Barry’s columns; his divorce was not discussed, though much speculation on the Internet assumed that the two “RayAdverb meets MsPtato” pieces in his Dave Barry in Cyberspace are autobiographical; Barry will neither confirm nor deny, but does post as @RayAdverb on Twitter.
- He currently plays lead guitar in the band The Rock Bottom Remainders, whose other members include Stephen King, Amy Tan, Ridley Pearson, Scott Turow, his brother Sam Barry, his sister-in-law Kathi Kamen Goldmark, and Mitch Albom.
- Barry has defined a sense of humor as “a measurement of the extent to which we realize that we are trapped in a world almost totally devoid of reason. Laughter is how we express the anxiety we feel at this knowledge”
- Dave Barry’s Blog