People Who Kick Buts: Serena Williams
I told you guys I’m delicious. Today I was vicious and ambitious.
- Born in Michigan on September 26, 1981.
- American professional tennis player and a former World No. 1.
- The Women’s Tennis Association has ranked her World No. 1 in singles on five separate occasions. She became the World No. 1 for the first time on July 8, 2002 and regained this ranking for the fifth time on November 2, 2009. She is considered to be one of the greatest women’s tennis players of all time.
- Williams has won two Olympic gold medals in women’s doubles. She has won more career prize money than any other female athlete in history.
- Williams’s first professional event was in September 1995, at the age of 13, at the Bell Challenge in Quebec City. She lost in the first round of qualifying to World No. 149 Annie Miller in less than an hour of play and earned US$240 in prize money.