People Who Kick Buts: Lynn Jennings
Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like the muscles of the body.
- Was born on July 1, 1960 in Princeton, New Jersey.
- She is one of the best female American runners of all time, with a range from 1500 meters to the marathon.
- Lynn Jennings excelled at all three of the sport’s major disciplines: track, road, and cross country. She became the first American woman to win an Olympic long-distance track medal when she won the bronze at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. She set a world indoor record in the 5000 meter run in 1990. Her American road-race record for 10 km (31:06) still stands.
- Graduating the Bromfield School in Harvard, MA, in 1978, she left behind countless schools records.
- Jennings ran the Boston Marathon unofficially in 1978 and finished in 2:46, a time which would have placed third in the open women’s division. In 1999, approaching age 39, she ran 2:38 officially in Boston.
- Jennings currently lives in Portland, Oregon.