Mary Kay Ash Quote: Don’t Limit Yourself
A LUV KiCK By Mary Kay Ash
Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
- Born Mary Kathlyn Wagner on May 12, 1918 in in Hot Wells, Harris County, Texas.
- She attended Reagan High School in Houston, and graduated in 1934.
- Ash married Ben Rogers at age 17. They had three children. While her husband served in World War II, she sold books door-to-door.
- After her husband’s return in 1945, they divorced.
- Ash went to work for Stanley Home Products.
- Frustrated when passed over for a promotion in favor of a man that she had trained, Ash retired in 1963 and intended to write a book to assist women in business.
- The book turned into a business plan for her ideal company, and in the summer of 1963, Mary Kay Ash and her new husband, George Arthur Hallenbeck, began Mary Kay Cosmetics with a $5,000 investment.
- Before the company could open its original storefront operation in Dallas, her second husband died, and her son, Richard Rogers, took his place.
- The store opened in 1963, but grew rapidly, particularly after Ash was interviewed for CBS’s 60 Minutes in 1979.
- She considered the Golden Rule the founding principle of Mary Kay Cosmetics and the company’s marketing plan was designed to allow women to advance by helping others to succeed.
- Ash remained active in Mary Kay Inc. until suffering a stroke in 1996. Richard Rogers was named CEO of Mary Kay Inc. in 2001.
- At the time of Ash’s death, Mary Kay Cosmetics had over 800,000 representatives in 37 countries, with total annual sales over $2 billion at retail.
- As of 2008, Mary Kay Cosmetics has more than 1.7 million consultants worldwide and wholesale volume in excess of 2.2 billion.
- Mary Kay herself was honored as leading female entrepreneur in American history.
(About Mary Kay Ash)