Mary Kay Ash Quote: Honesty The Cornerstone Of All Success
A LUV KiCK By Mary Kay Ash
Honesty is the cornerstone of all success, without which confidence and ability to perform shall cease to exist.
- Born Mary Kathlyn Wagner on May 12, 1918 in in Hot Wells, Harris County, Texas.
- She attended Reagan High School in Houston, and graduated in 1934.
- Ash married Ben Rogers at age 17. They had three children. While her husband served in World War II, she sold books door-to-door.
- After her husband’s return in 1945, they divorced.
- Ash went to work for Stanley Home Products.
- Frustrated when passed over for a promotion in favor of a man that she had trained, Ash retired in 1963 and intended to write a book to assist women in business.
- The book turned into a business plan for her ideal company, and in the summer of 1963, Mary Kay Ash and her new husband, George Arthur Hallenbeck, began Mary Kay Cosmetics with a $5,000 investment.
- Before the company could open its original storefront operation in Dallas, her second husband died, and her son, Richard Rogers, took his place.
- The store opened in 1963, but grew rapidly, particularly after Ash was interviewed for CBS’s 60 Minutes in 1979.
- She considered the Golden Rule the founding principle of Mary Kay Cosmetics and the company’s marketing plan was designed to allow women to advance by helping others to succeed.
- Ash remained active in Mary Kay Inc. until suffering a stroke in 1996. Richard Rogers was named CEO of Mary Kay Inc. in 2001.
- At the time of Ash’s death, Mary Kay Cosmetics had over 800,000 representatives in 37 countries, with total annual sales over $2 billion at retail.
- As of 2008, Mary Kay Cosmetics has more than 1.7 million consultants worldwide and wholesale volume in excess of 2.2 billion.
- Mary Kay herself was honored as leading female entrepreneur in American history.
Did you enjoy this article?
Share the LUV
Get your bundle of supercharged inspiration