People Who Kick Buts: With Priscilla Welch
Running made me feel like a bird out of a cage; I loved it that much.
- Born on November 22, 1944 in Bedford, England.
- She had a most unlikely career in international athletics, having been a smoker of a pack a day until she began running competitively at age 35.
- An officer in the British Army, Welch met her husband Dave while serving in Norway. She quit smoking, and under his tutelage, she ran in the 1980 London Marathon at age 35.
- Four years later, she qualified for the British Olympic team at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
- In the first women’s Olympic marathon, Welch finished sixth, remarkable for someone who was nearly 40 years old. On her 40th birthday, Welsh qualified for the masters division and began setting age group world records.